Author jay marie
I've been writing since I first learned the alphabet, but it wasn’t until 25 years later that I finally decided to take the deep plunge into the depths of publishing. My written work conveys the darker side of writing, bringing in to light what most may shy away from and I love every second of it. I have a passion for writing strong female characters with a brain that can override their sex drives, deliver one hell of a punch as well as take one. They have backbones made of steel and hearts that beat with a ferocity that refuses to be tamed or matched.
My inspiration comes to me in the form of a minefield on top of a snow covered mountain. One step and a new idea explodes in my head, and then before you know it, I have an avalanche of ideas rushing through my brain and it does not stop!
When I'm not writing until the late hours of the night, I'm working as a legal assistant at a personal injury law firm in Michigan. I'm also a part time law student at the University of Detroit Mercy Law School where I study in the evening in hopes of becoming a human rights attorney. I also enjoy practicing and teaching martial arts in my spare time as well as riding around on my super fun Honda Grom.
If you are easily offended or sensitive over certain subjects, then my books or my site might not be the place for you. I'm a dark, sarcastic writer and my writing is a bit of a reflection of my personality. I am who I am, and I won't let another person's sensitivity or the fear of offending someone hold me back from what I love to do. Unfortunately, there is no possible way for me to make every single person on this planet happy, so I won't hold myself to that standard. We are who we are, and we should never have to apologize for that.
25 Random Facts
- I’ve been practicing martial arts since I was 8 and have been a black belt since I was 16. Boom.
- I was the undefeated fighting champion of the state of Michigan when I was 15.
- I’m a natural red head. (And no, we’re not going extinct, so shut up)
- I’m like 99% sure I was a black cat in a former life because I LOVE them.
- With that being said, I also LOVE Halloween. Its an obsession.
- I’ve lived in Michigan my entire life. Don't ever move to this state. Mother Nature is extremely bipolar here and she does not like to take her meds.
- My next closest passion after writing and martial arts is law. I want to make a difference in the world and I'm going to do it in every way I can.
- I’ve been with my current boyfriend for the past 6 years. We have a pretty cool relationship that most probably wouldn’t understand.
- I can’t stand ridiculously, overly happy people. It makes me want to punch them in the face. I mean, come on, don't your cheeks hurt from all that smiling? Mine would.
- If you haven't guessed yet, I'm not a very sentimental person. I don't care for small talk or beating around the bush. I like straight shooters with a sense of dark, sarcastic humor ;)
- It's really hard to offend me. <--That is not a challenge.
- I have an irrational fear of velociraptors, yet they are my favorite dinosaur.
- Half my family is from Canada. They’re among my favorites :)
- I love to ride motorcycles. I own a 2015 Honda Grom, but my dream bike is a Ducati Hypermotard :D
- I love to shoot guns and am licensed to carry concealed. I don’t mess around.
- My idols are Amal Clooney, Ronda Rousey and Pink (no surprise there)
- My absolute favorite band is Def Leppard. I loves dem.
- I have one younger brother, one younger step-brother and one older step-brother. I am the only girl :'(
- I only have three girly weaknesses - shoes, make up and nail polish.
- I have a very close relationship with my mom. My world would not be the same without her in my life.
- I'm actually a severe asthmatic.
- I’m allergic to just about everything except cockroaches. Go figure.
- My favorite ninja turtle is Raphael since he was the red ninja with sias. I learned his weapon when I was younger, so I identified with him a lot.
- I will take on just about any physical challenge if it comes my way. I would totally do American Ninja Warrior or Wipe Out.
- I am a huge advocate for the fight against human trafficking, as well as women’s self-defense and equality. I also believe society should teach everyone to just not be assholes, but whatever.